Thursday, October 17, 2013

Life is an opportunity, benefit from it

So I found this quote a while back and had planned on doing a series of blog posts on it. I wanted to take each line and write about how I relate to it or interpret it. I wanted to do this so I could get some practice in blogging on a regular basis. Well, I slacked off, as I often do, and never did anything with it. So now I want to attempt again.

Here's the quote:


“Life is an opportunity, benefit from it.
Life is beauty, admire it.
Life is a dream, realize it.
Life is a challenge, meet it.
Life is a duty, complete it.
Life is a game, play it.
Life is a promise, fulfill it.
Life is sorrow, overcome it.
Life is a song, sing it.
Life is a struggle, accept it.
Life is a tragedy, confront it.
Life is an adventure, dare it.
Life is luck, make it.
Life is too precious, do not destroy it.
Life is life, fight for it.”
― Mother Teresa

And here's what I have to say about the first line, "Life is an opportunity, benefit from it"

I've had many opportunities come and go in my life. A lot of them I let slip by me. But a recent opportunity has come across and I am trying my best to get the most out of it. I have started working with a few students at an elementary school. My daughter's school has amazing volunteer program. They allow people to come in and help students who need a little extra attention. It is my goal to be a teacher so I felt this would be a great way to get a little experience working with students. I work with two fifth grade students who need help with reading. If you know me, you know I love to read. So I'm trying my best to get these kids excited about reading as well. It's a slow start but I am determined.

I have also recently decided to offer tutoring services locally. I figured since I'm not working (just doing a little babysitting) that I could make a little money tutoring. This will also give me the practice I need to get ready for teaching. Of course I have to finish school first and I have been a little slack on that. But I want to take advantage of this time I have and work towards my future goals.

The hardest thing for me is actually sticking with it. I volunteer at the school only 2 days and some mornings I find myself thinking of skipping out for the day. But then I realized I made a promise to the school and these students to do my best to help them. I would be disappointed in myself if I didn't stick with it. I'm also getting a little discouraged with the tutoring thing. I've made a flyer and advertised on Facebook and Craigslist but so far I have only had one person contact me. I know me, I'm not good at following through, especially when it doesn't go the way I want it to right away. But I am determined. I will keep reminding myself of what I'm working towards. Eventually I will get there. I will find the motivation.

When I really think about the opportunities I have available to me, I realize I am a lucky person. I have the means to make my life what I want it to be. Some people don't get that. I don't want to take that for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment